My family is a chicken lover. So, I tried to vary my chicken recipes and find more recipes that are yummy and healthy at the same time. Since I have an oven at home, so I tried to utilize it to the max by doing some baking and grilling. Well, it is healthier than deep-frying, right. One of our favorite grilled chicken recipe is grilled mustard chicken recipe. Thanks to my friend Naffisa (aka Naffie) from Africa, who brought this delicious grilled chicken to the monthly family gathering. And at the end, she offered to teach us how to make this at home. Wow… cooking class!!
I forgot to ask her whether this recipe has a special African name, but anyway here it is the Grilled Mustard Chicken Recipe, the Naffie’s way. Note that the measurement of the spices that I used here is simply an approximate. Here’s is her original recipe. I put note inside brackets for things that I don’t use or substitute.
– 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
– 3 tbs mustard paste
– 2 tbs minced garlic (I used freshly blended garlic, about 6 cloves)
– 4 green chilis (remove the seed if you don’t like spicy food), blended
– 2 Maggie stock cubes, crushed into powder ( I don’t use Maggie, because I prefer so I used about 3 tbs of homemade chicken broth instead)
– Vegeta seasoning (this is a powdered seasoning made from vegetables, again, I don’t use Vegeta so I just omit it)
– New Orleans chicken seasoning (I am not a seasoning expert, but I simply replace this with onion powder and dried thyme. (Note: dried oregano also nice replacement)
– vinegar / lime to wash the chicken
– 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1. After cutting the chicken into pieces, wash the chicken with vinegar or lime, and rinse with water. I ask Naffie what’s the purpose of this (I’ve never done this before). She answered, it helps to bring out the flavor later on, and it releases the unwanted fat easier. After that, you can make several slits on the chicken pieces for better flavor absorption.
2. Put the chicken in a large bowl, and mix evenly with the garlic, green chilis, mustard, as well as Maggie, Vegeta, and New Orleans seasonings (if using). Set aside for about 30 minutes to 1 hours so the chicken is well marinated.
3. Preheat the oven in broil mode.
4. Prepare the baking pan, you can choose to grease the pan or simply line it with an aluminium foil (I chose the second method)
5. Place the chicken pieces inside the pan, broil on HIGH until it is well-cooked and the color turns golden brown.
6. This is just a note to me since I am new to broiling chicken from raw state to a well-cooked state:
– The oven I used only has one Broil mode, so I don’t know whether it is considered HIGH or LOW. I placed the broiling rack on the second highest position.
– Broil one side for about 15-20 minutes, then flip the chicken over, and continue broiling for another 15 – 20 minutes.
– You will notice that the juice will start flowing out from the chicken and filling the pan, just like gravy. I believe this juice helps to cook the chicken until well-done without getting the outer layer burnt.
– Now, it’s time to brown the outer surface of the chicken. Before doing that, now it’s time to pour out the gravy that I mentioned in the previous step. Then, to get it nicely browned on both sides, simply broil them for about 3 minutes for each sides.
7. While broiling the chicken in the oven, saute the onion with 2 tbs of oil in a saucepan until it softens and changes color.
8. Mix the onion and chicken together and transfer to a serving bowl.
9. Optional: garnish with lettuce and tomato.
A happy family gobbling the chickens from full plate to finish! *grin* Look that my son can’t even wait to touch the chicken, lol.
1. The green chili really rocks, I should say, you should not omit it. It is what gives you the exotic and rich taste. No wonder, there are so many Indian cuisine which use this as one of the main spices.
2. The very first time I made this mustard grilled chicken, I use a built-in oven that has a broil mode. Now, that I’ve moved and I only have a counter-top oven, I can still make this. The oven is so simple. I just make sure that the heating comes from top only, set the temperature to 250 C, and follow exactly the same instruction.
3. If you don’t have oven, but do have HappyCall pan instead, congratulations! You can still create this yummy grilled chicken. Note that cooking with HappyCall is generally faster. The only thing that I don’t get with HappyCall is the dry crust that’s easily obtained by grilling.
4. Summer backyard party? Of course, go ahead and use your backyard grill!
5. Want to make it a frozen meal? Definitely you can. Simply prepare the chicken and mix it with the marinating sauce, put 1 serving size inside ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer. The next time you are craving for grilled chicken, take it out, defrost, and you’re ready to grill.
There you go. Please give it a try, and don’t forget to share it with your friends. There’re a lot of grilled mustard chicken recipes, but this one is definitely an exotic one.
Have you tried grilled mustard chicken recipe before? Do you have any tips on grilling chicken to perfection? Share with me in the comments!
PS: Do check my other killer grilled chicken recipe, right here (it’s called Taliwang grilled chicken).
*Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links to products that I love or personally use.
Linking up to: